Tuesday, November 29, 2011

My little stars

For the past 2 years I have been a volunteer for The Shine Centre. I found out about The Shine Centre while I worked in radio. I had interviewed one of the founders and she invited me to one of the schools they work in. It just so happened that one of their schools was right behind the building where I lived.


Anybody who knows me, knows that I love kids and I am very passionate about educating them. I thought I knew how poorly some kids were being educated, but I really didn't. Meeting these bright little stars and finding out that some children in Grd 3 were barely literate broke my heart. I decided on the spot that I was going to volunteer. My dad often quotes Gandhi 'be the change you want to see in the world'.

Seeing these kids every morning is honestly the highlight of my day. Now that I have 'down graded' my day job I am able to volunteer Mon - Friday. Last week was our final week with the kids and we made cards for each other. Best cards ever!

If you are in a position where you can spare an hour out of your day, please think about volunteering. I know not everyone can do it, but we always need more volunteers. And if literacy and kids is not your thing, think about volunteering elsewhere. It WILL change you and your world. I stopped believing that the government, most governments, can make a difference. I only believe in people. I've seen how people can make a difference by caring and getting involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment