Friday, May 11, 2012

May Book (Gem Squash Tokoloshe)

It took me forever to finish the March book, but it feels like I flew through this months book (Gem Squash Tokoloshe). I had never heard of the author or the book, as mentioned before. Half of the book is set in the 80s (South Africa) and it is told by a seven year old girl named Faith. She lives on a farm with her parents and is oblivious to how big or bad the world. All she knows is her family, their community and the 'fairies' that her mother often tells her about.

Faith's world falls starts unraveling when her parents separate and it seems nothing goes right from that point on. I don't want to ruin the book for you, so I can't go into too much detail. The second part of the book is from the perspective of Faith in her 20s. Again I can't say much but you begin to see the impact that the events of her childhood have had on her.


I love the story because of how it was stuck between the 'real' world and a 'mystical' one. I enjoy those kind of things, which is why Beloved is one of my favourite books. Be warned you will come across the k-word a few times. If that doesn't put you off, keep reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment