Tuesday, May 15, 2012

May Book 2 (A Brother's Journey)

The plan was to finish off the latest draft of my manuscript... But you don't need me to tell you how tempting everything becomes when there is writing to be done. Today was one of those days where I literally had to sit around waiting for people to do things. So I took a book with me. I had started 'sort of' reading it yesterday; the intention was not to get into it.

The book is by Richard B. Pelzer and it is a story about his childhood and how he survived an abusive mother. When I read this book I had no idea that he had a brother who had also written a book about their abusive life (David, who is known as IT in the book). It is a true story and one that left me feeling so sad. I was saddened because Richard seems to think that everyone around them (family, neighbours and teachers) knew what their mother was doing but nobody did anything.

Richard is one of 5 boys who lived with an alcoholic and obviously mentally ill mother. At first her abuse and hate is directed at David, known as IT, but when the authorities take David away she picks Richard as his 'replacement'. I couldn't put the book down because I was hoping that someone would come and save him.


I now want to read his brother's book: A Boy Called It. No more books this month. I NEED to finish the latest draft.

No comments:

Post a Comment