Wednesday, April 18, 2012

No Country For Women

I remember how MAD South Africans were when Charlize Theron did the 'real men don't rape' ad below.



This morning I cried when I read the news about the 16/17 year old girl who was gang raped. Not only was the whole thing filmed but it has gone viral. According to this CNN article (and Charlize) a woman is raped in South Africa every 26 seconds. It truly is shocking when not being raped is a matter of luck in my country.

I'm both mad and sad that this happens all the time in South Africa. I will never stop being mad or sad. I refuse to accept that this is how we live. Even more infuriating is that there were people on Twitter who were asking to see the video. WHAT IS GOING ON HERE PEOPLE?!

I wonder what those who were infuriated by Charlize Theron's ad have to say now? I'm tired of hearing the outraged voices of women only. I would love to hear from the men too.

Heart is heavy.

No comments:

Post a Comment