Sunday, December 18, 2011

That time again

It is almost the end of the year... And what a long year it has been for me. Long and very painful for the most part. I've come to the conclusion that it was growing pains. I have grown in ways I never thought possible in such a short space of time. Over at the old blog I used to do a 'what (insert year) has taught me' list. So I thought I would do it one more time

What 2011 has taught me

1. People prefer to be lied to
I guess this is not news, but Truth was the theme of the year. I had to be honest with myself about a lot of things this year; career, health, finances, music, family, friends... The year started with me in an awful way: I was doing a job that I didn't believe in, I was well on my way to being 'more than slightly' overweight, the album was on hold and I wasn't making enough money to get by. I had to get honest (with myself). It was tough, but had to be done. Had I not been honest with myself I probably would have fallen apart. I wish I could say the same for the people I encountered along the way. While I was on this 'I am healing myself with truth' high, I decided to take some people along for the ride. I mean, why get better by yourself right? After a while I realised that the stories we build our lives around are much more comfortable than the harsh sting of the truth. Which brings me to lesson number 2.

2. Nobody is coming for you
I realised that deep down inside there was a frightened girl who was waiting to be saved. Not by the handsome Kal-El from Krypton or anybody with super powers (although that would have been nice too). I guess I was waiting for some big event to happen and all, or most, of my problems would be solved. 2011 taught me that nobody is 'coming for me'. There is no super magical team being assembled to come and conquer your problems. Once I came to that realisation I started being my own super hero. I also stopped trying to be a super hero for other people. It is both arrogant and ignorant to think that you can 'save' someone. That's not to say that I don't give help to those who ask for it. Bringing us to lesson number 3

Image via Superman Super Site


3. I love these damn kids!
Once I quit the job that I wasn't so sure about, I started volunteering at the Shine Centre 5 days a week. I didn't have this much free time at my previous job. I've had very few awful mornings ever since I started volunteering 5 times a week. Its hard to be an ungrateful grouch when you start your day with those little smiling faces. 2011 taught me that being of service 'fills me up'.



4. I LOVE food
I love food and this year I learned how to make it love me too. Previously I didn't care where my food came from or how it made me feel. I just ATE. 2011 has taught me to be a little more aware of food and how it makes me feel. I now know that sugar gives me headaches, wheat makes my tum unhappy and a bunch of other things that I didn't know before. I have committed myself to eating at least one raw meal a day.

I KNOW that its not a raw meal, but its from Harries Pancakes and it was gooooood!


5. The force is strong in this one
I always thought that I was tough. This year and all its financial troubles, moves, changes and BS has taught me that I am tougher than I give myself credit for.

Took this pic on one of our road trips. I just felt like posting it here


6. SWSWSWSW
One of my favourite quotes by Jack Canfield: Some Will. Some Wont. So What? Someones Waiting. After trying to get my music onto SA radio, my sweet manager and I finally gave up. We didn't give up on everything, just SA radio. Once we did that we were able to find countries where radio stations LOVED the music. I am no play-listed in 36 countries and am not so cut up about previous rejections.

Voila Magazine put me in their style fix section. I was so stoked!

7. Memories don't live like people do
After Steve Jobs died, a lot of people called him a genius and a master mind. Many said that he was one of the greatest minds of our time blah blah. I do not agree nor do I disagree with any of these statements (because I don't really care, to be honest). What I found interesting was that as soon as he died, so did many of his indiscretions/negative attributes. There were perhaps a few people who spoke about the not-so-great things that he did, but they were definitely in the minority. 2011 taught me that They will give you hell while you are still alive and forget all about it when you die. So its best not to care what people think of you and your journey, they're gonna keep changing their minds anyway.
Image via Time


8. My song
Finally: I learned that nobody can steal your joy. Nobody! People do not control how you feel. You do. I have been through a lot this year, but I am also the happiest I have ever been in my short life. If I had to do 2011 again, I probably wouldn't (ha ha ha ha). I would not erase it either, because I am grateful for it's lessons. I am looking forward to writing more songs and singing them. I cannot wait to see what the new year has in store for me. I hope you are looking forward to it, without any of the baggage of this year.

Today is the day by BlackPorcelain


P.S I almost forgot to add that LOVE IS EVERYTHING. It was love that got me through this hellish year. I am grateful for love.

See the year off with a BANG!
One Love :)

No comments:

Post a Comment