Saturday, January 7, 2012

Lesson of the week (Potential)

Marcee often says to me "don't listen to what people say. Listen to what they do." This week I learned to listen and let go.

I have always been a people person, but not in a conventional way. I thrive in social situations; getting to know people has always been fun for me. My mom says my parents took me along when they went to register me for creche. While they were being given the tour, I stayed behind in one of the classrooms and started talking to the other kids and learning the songs they were being taught. Ma only realised that her daughter was missing when they reached the office. When she eventually found me I asked her if I could stay in the class while they were busy. So you see how much I love new experiences and people.

My love for other people stops when I have to work. I do not work well with others... Well this was until I decided to pursue my dreams. I quickly learned that there were many other people involved in the making of an album and I would have to grow up (just a little). I am less of a pain in the ass to work with, but somewhere in the back of my mind there is a voice whispering 'that person is gonna fuck up, so don't take your eye off the ball'.

This week 2 people 'left' the project (reasons don't matter) and I was not surprised. In the pursuit to be a 'team player' (I dislike that word), I started putting a lot of emphasis on potential and ignoring everything else (including results). 'Surely if that person had potential then I would be a 'bad person' if I denied them an opportunity to develop it?' Obviously I now know how ridiculous (and arrogant) that is.

Potential (n): a latent excellence or ability that may or may not be developed.
  
Lesson of the week: A person's potential is NONE of my business. I should instead be focusing on what that person is DOING.

P.S I am not mad at the people who 'left the project', that would be immature. They were both very honest with me and I really value honesty. This post is not about them, but about the lesson that I have learned form the experience. I cannot grow if I do not learn from my experiences. I am grateful for the experiences and the lessons.

No comments:

Post a Comment